Friday, July 27, 2007

A disaster of "historical" proportions!

I love history. I really do. But I'm so fed up with it right now.

I spent another 3 hours today working on the lesson plans for history this year. And then I read a webpage about teaching history chronologically. Which makes total sense to me. So I'm chucking my previous plan and switching it around to work on a timeline.

I also decided that we'd have to study both World History and US History at the same time. So, double the work. yay.

Now I have to make lesson plan outlines for both. Mark websites and find resources for both. Make worksheets and tests for both. On the up side, the World History lessons are mostly done for me. I found a webpage that has it all. And there's another history site that does US history, though not the way I would do it, I can move things around.

I need to do some more research for resources. I'm going to have a hard time finding books, I think.

And I'm going to need a LOT of books this year. I'm introducing a literature study along with everything else we're doing. I know, I think I'm crazy. But I want to get the kids used to reading more. Plus, I'm hoping it'll spark more interest in them.

They'll also have to begin learning to research on their own. So I'll be introducing the "encyclopedia" and "google" to them as well. Though I'm pretty sure they already know what google is. And I'm just as sure when I ask them about the encyclopedia their response is going to be "huh?"

Well. I'm off to do some reading. And not just school books, either! Something just for fun.

No comments: