Thursday, July 26, 2007

Today's research

I have such a ways to go. I'm making headway everyday but it seems like my list doesn't get any shorter! There is so much information out there I want the kids to know and read and take in. There is so little time to get it to them. My greatest hope is that I teach them to love to learn and they will continue the process long after they have graduated.

Today I worked on Economics and Government. I managed to plan out the whole year. I had to pick and choose what I wanted to get covered. Again too much info too little time.

I also layed out an outline for History. I love History, but I find it overwhelming when I'm trying to put together the lessons. The curriculum guidelines have them learning American History but no World History. If I try to add in World History they're school day will be 8 hours long! I've thought about teaching History in a chronological format, beginning with the ancient history, but I just don't know if I want to do that. It makes more sense to do it that way. At least, to me it does.

I think I'll wait until school starts and see just how the day plays out with the schedule I have planned. If I find I have extra time or we can move things around, then I'll probably start World History as well. It doesn't show up in the guidelines until middle school, but there's a lot they need to learn, so the earlier the better if you ask me!

Tomorrow I hope to finalize the History lessons. And I think I'll call it day after that and save the rest of my work for later. I'll probably go to the library and get some history books to peruse just to make me feel better about what I'm teaching this year. I wish I could go to the teacher store. But, I can't. I could shop Amazon and e-bay, but I prefer to see the book in my hands first when it comes to school books.

I do need to take a look around for AOP Bible Curriculum, however. I was told I could find it cheaper places other than the publisher, maybe even used on e-bay.

I should go do that before I forget!

No comments: